RECIPES FROM DIFFERENT COUNTRIES: BY STUDENTS
,,German pot roast’’-,,Rheinischer Sauerbraten’’
Marinade Time: 5 days
Preparation Time: 2 hours
You need for 4 person:
For the Marinade:
2 onions, 1 leek, 2 carrots, 1 celeriac, 1/2 1 red wine, 1/4 1 vinegar, 1/2 1 water, 2 bay leaf, 10 pepper grains, 10 mustard grains, 1 TL salt.
For the roast:
1 kg beef- from the shoulder, 80 g fat, 1/4 1 water, 125 g raisin, 1/8 1 red wine, 1/2 bottle sour cream, salt pepper.
1) Peel the onions and wash the vegetables. Then you must cut them. Boil them
with red wine, vinegar, water and the spices (marinade).
2) Pour the marinade over the meat. The marinade should cover the whole meat.
Leave the meat in the fridge for 5 days. During this time turn the
3) After this time, take the meat out of the marinade and dry it. Drain the
Marinade through a strainer and keep it for later.
4) Roast the meat from all sides.
5) Add 1/4 1 of marinade and 1/4 1 of water and braise the roast for 1 1/2 hours at low
heat. Turn over the roast several times. If necessary, add more water and marinade.
6) Soak the raisins in red wine.
7) Take out the ready braised roast and keep it warm. To prepare the gravy put the
raisins with the red wine into the sauce in the pot. Leave this in the pot for 5
minutes. Season with sour cream, salt and pepper.
8) Slice the roast and serve with the gravy.
Typical slide dishes are potato dumplings and red cabbage.
Enjoy the meal!
CASHEW (Peanut) CHICKEN
250g chicken breast
25g peanut move skin
Salt, Monosodium glutamate, Yellow wine, Sauce, Ginger and Chinese onion and Garlic chopped into fine pieces, Dry red pepper, Pericarpium, Vinegar, Egg only white one, Starch, Olive oil fitted.
1. Cut chicken breast into small square blend egg, salt and wet starch.
2. Warm the oil up put the chicken into the pan, for a minutes and then fish out the chicken (waiting for use).
3. Put the dry red pepper, pericarpium into spare oil in the pan fry it and then put ginger, Chinese onion, garlic for fry a moment, and then put salt, monosodium glutamate, yellow wine, sauce, white sugar, vinegar and then put chicken and peanut stir-fry.
4. Put into a plate.
KITFO (Spiced Raw Beef)
1. 1/8 cup spiced butter.
2. 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped.
3. 2 tablespoon chili powder.
4. 1/4 teaspoon ginger, ground.
5. 1/4 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped.
6. 1/4 teaspoon cardamom ground.
7. 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice.
8. 1 teaspoon salt.
9. 1 teaspoon berbere.
10. 1 pound ground beef.
- Melt the spiced butter in a large frying pan
- Add onions, green pepper, chili powder, ginger, garlic and cardamon, and cook for 2 minutes while stirring.
-Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, berbere and salt
-Stir in raw beef and serve. Serve with injera or kocio. Serve 6
SPICED BEEF STEW/SIGA WET
· 4 large onions chopped.
· 2 tuber ginger crushed finely.
· 1 clove of garlic finely chopped.
· 4 tablespoon corn oil.
· 4 tablespoon tomato paste.
· 1 teaspoon salt.
· 2 cup water.
· 1 tablespoon berbere.
· 2 tablespoon spiced butter.
· 1 1/2 kg beef chuck cut into small pieces.
In dry pan over moderate heat, stir fry the onions for 4 min to reduce the bulk, stirring constantly. Add the oil and stir for about 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes and continue stirring add berbere, garlic, ginner and continue to fry. Then add the salt and ¼ of the water. Stir well. Add the beef and the remaining water. Cover the pan and cook for 50-60 min, or until the beef is tender. Then add the spice butter. There should be moderate amount of sauce. Serve warm with injera.
RECIPE OF FISH SERRA
I am going to prepare a dish of fish serra. It is a dish prepared during festive days, to enrich the variety of the menu.
·10 kg of fish serra.
·5 garlic cloves.
·5 bulbs of onion.
·3 teaspoon of white pepper.
·1 cup of fresh lemon juice.
·1/2 of beer.
·2 cups of oil.
·3 tablespoon of salt.
Method of Preparation:
·Descale the fish.
·Remove all the insides and wash the fish very well.
·Leave the fish in a clean surface to drain.
·Peel the onion and garlic. Wash them.
·Crush the garlic with a 1 spoon of grain salt until it becomes creamy.
·Chop the onions into very tiny pieces.
·Mix onions, garlic, pepper, lemon juice and oil in a plastic bowl.
·Mix it for 3 minutes, then put salt, beer, mix it until it turns into a paste.
·For mixing use a wooden spoon and not a metallic spoon.
·Pour all the ingredients over the fish and turn it several times very gently.
·Leave it in a cool place for 2 or 3 hours or even over night. (Better in the fridge)
1. Separate the fish from the mixture
2. Put it in a metallic tray and put it in an oven 180-200 degree. Make sure is not burning
3. While the fish is roasting, pour bit by bit of the mixture on top to enrich the taste and add sauce.
4. Turn the fish once to roast the other side.
5. When is cooked, take it out of the oven and clean the edges of the tray.
MATAPA OR CASSAVA LEAVES
Matapa is most famous traditional dish of Mozambique. Visit there you’ll be fascinated with different kind of delicious food of Mozambique. Go to traditional Restaurant ask about this dish taste you’ll not change one’s mind about it.
Here in Nairobi you can meet Mozambican’s friends who can do it for you. Those who have eaten never forget to ask about the recipe.
1-cup of eanuts
1/2 -green pepper
1/2 kg-of fillet fish
Take cassava’s leaves put inside the liquidizer them grind well and crush garlic put together cassava leaves grinded and roast in pan until it becomes brown. Mean while grate coconut and put together’s peanuts and grind with 1 liter and half water in liquidizer and then strain.
Before put coconuts with peanuts. Put first coconuts without peanuts inside the liquidizer to get 1 cup of coconut’s milk and then you can grind together with peanuts.
After that put coconuts milk peanut in the pot of cassava leaves roasted with tomatoes, onion, cook for 1 hour and a half and then put that cup of milk that you separate with fish, green, pepper, cook for more five minutes.
This dish is served with white rice or ugali accompanied by beef, fry chicken or a nice grill fish. Enjoy
BY: LILIANA CHUMAIO